Close

    • Nasty C7 Z06 LT4 with a Procharger F-1X - 1414 rear wheel horsepower

      Centrifugal superchargers get a bad wrap for some reason but there is no denying the power and torque you see here. Not to mention centrifugals are the easiest to package and tune for which is a huge benefit that only helps with the price point of entry.


      Look at this monster:


      Who says a centrifugal can not make torque? Over 1200 lb-ft at the wheels.

      This car was built by Houston House of Power although they are not providing too many details. This is possibly a 427ci built motor setup.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: Nasty C7 Z06 LT4 with a Procharger F-1X - 1414 rear wheel horsepower started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 3 Comments
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        I did not know centrifugals could make this much power - and the power delivery is almost like a turbo. Why do the big 3 (Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet) keep pushing positive displacement or roots style superchargers on their vehicles? I can understand using a roots style supercharger on a small displacement motor to get more torque down low. However, on a large displacement motor that is already making torque down low, the last thing you need is more torque down low in the power band with a roots blower when the car is already struggling to put the power down in a rear wheel drive configuration. A centrifugal moves the torque and power a little bit higher in the power band which can help a little with traction down low.
      1. Batman's Avatar
        Batman -
        Am I missing something here?
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        I did not know centrifugals could make this much power - and the power delivery is almost like a turbo.
        It's smoother than a turbo and the power just keeps rising as it spins more and more with RPM.

        It's just a manually spun impeller.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        Why do the big 3 (Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet) keep pushing positive displacement or roots style superchargers on their vehicles? I can understand using a roots style supercharger on a small displacement motor to get more torque down low.
        Packaging, power delivery, and cost. The last time an OEM sold a centrifugal was in the 50's I think.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Batman Click here to enlarge
        However, on a large displacement motor that is already making torque down low, the last thing you need is more torque down low in the power band with a roots blower when the car is already struggling to put the power down in a rear wheel drive configuration. A centrifugal moves the torque and power a little bit higher in the power band which can help a little with traction down low.
        Exactly, centrifugals have many benefits. My M3 is a handful even with the torque coming in up top. It's an animal on the highway.

        If you have a high revving motor you have a motor that pulls harder and harder the more you rev and it's a lot of fun.