Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car and Driver "leaks" 2015 Mustang cover photo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Any other factory flat plane crank turbo V8's besides the MP4-12C?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, I do like the idea of the flat-plan crank, I remember seeing that would part of the new motor design a few months ago, but I also remember reading not to expect the same high revving redline that we're used to in euro exotics...we'll see, but I'll honestly be shocked to see a redline beyond 7k
    That would seem wasteful to use a flat plane crank and not rev the sh*t out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Any other factory flat plane crank turbo V8's besides the MP4-12C?
    Not that I can think of...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Not really...that's less power than the current cobra, 220 lbs is a lot of weight, sure, performance wise it might be good, but how reliable? And still doesn't look very good. They have definitely stepped up the power benchmark in the last few years, but factory power isn't everything.
    The Cobra weighs quite a bit more than a base GT. I'll take a turbo Mustang over a supercharged Mustang every day of the week. Those heads are amazing, the aftermarket potential on that car will be absurd. You kids think the GTR is impressive? Sheeeiiittt. Wait until you see the domestic market take a modern turbo platform as popular as a Mustang. You'll see Mustangs running $#@!ing 9s with just boltons.

Now, I think that motor started as a rumor and the media keeps running with it. The Mustang6g group claims the C&D article is wrong as far as the renders and they've got a lot more insiders over there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

That would seem wasteful to use a flat plane crank and not rev the sh*t out of it.
    Perhaps but you will get better response and a hell of an engine sound. They certainly can rev the $#@! out of it though if the internals and valvetrain are up to par.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps but you will get better response and a hell of an engine sound. They certainly can rev the $#@! out of it though if the internals and valvetrain are up par.
    If this info is correct and they do make this engine, that is beyond impressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Um the M5, E63, and RS6 all make less than 600 horsepower for more $ and Ford underrates the crap out of their motors...

What do you want exactly? That's just an estimate anyway it won't be a step backward from the GT500 in HP.
    I don't understand...all I said was I wasn't that impressed. I'd like to see some performance numbers first, and an actual photo, as I am not sure how accurate that photo is either. I'm sure it will be just enough to edge the Z28 in a straight line and lose in ever other category...just like they did with the GT500....that beats the ZL1 at 2 out of 5 tracks by less than a second and is then magically the better track car...maybe this car will be different, but I doubt it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

They'll make people spend aftermarket money and void warranties to get it to be what should be from the factory...no different than most manufacturers though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

They'll make people spend aftermarket money and void warranties to get it to be what should be from the factory...no different than most manufacturers though
    What exactly are you talking about? What should it be?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

I don't understand...all I said was I wasn't that impressed. I'd like to see some performance numbers first, and an actual photo, as I am not sure how accurate that photo is either. I'm sure it will be just enough to edge the Z28 in a straight line and lose in ever other category...just like they did with the GT500....that beats the ZL1 at 2 out of 5 tracks by less than a second and is then magically the better track car...maybe this car will be different, but I doubt it.
    You want performance numbers before the car is even complete?

Did you not notice the 220 pounds less weight and the IRS?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not even sure why so many are focused on the looks when there are massive changes where it counts. Plus there is nothing wrong with the current mustangs styling anyway so evolving it is fine.
    I think this is a hell of a lot better than the current mustangs with some serious tuning potential! Also, each year that there changes, the car will only get better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

What exactly are you talking about? What should it be?
    This was in response to the flat-plane crank...to take full advantage it will take a re-build and tune to get the high revving redline that should come from the factory...pure assumption obviously since no real specs have been released yet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

You want performance numbers before the car is even complete?

Did you not notice the 220 pounds less weight and the IRS?
    Hmmm a Camaro Zl1 keeps up with the 13' GT500 on almost every road course tested side by side, loses a couple, wins on one...with an immense power difference, so no I'm not impressed until we see results and a price tag...I don't understand why you can't understand why I'm not impressed just from being told a car has IRS and a bunch of power. I'm sure it will be compared to the Z28...and will surely beat it in the 1/4 mile, but not be well rounded, not be as well rounded, driveable, or trackable, Ford has a history of throwing extra power into a car to attempt to overcome other shortcomings which is why I'm not very impressed with almost every mustang that's come to market yet, maybe this one will break that trend...but I'm not holding my breath

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Hmmm a Camaro Zl1 keeps up with the 13' GT500 on almost every road course tested side by side, loses a couple, wins on one...with an immense power difference, so no I'm not impressed until we see results and a price tag...I don't understand why you can't understand why I'm not impressed just from being told a car has IRS and a bunch of power. I'm sure it will be compared to the Z28...and will surely beat it in the 1/4 mile, but not be well rounded, not be as well rounded, driveable, or trackable, Ford has a history of throwing extra power into a car to attempt to overcome other shortcomings which is why I'm not very impressed with almost every mustang that's come to market yet, maybe this one will break that trend...but I'm not holding my breath
    Ok, and? This car is lighter and has IRS so the '13 GT500 does not apply whatsoever.

You're not impressed based on the ZL1 running with a previous generation GT500 that does not apply to the new Mustang whatsoever, um, ok.

Yes I do not understand why you are not impressed or any of your points really as to me they make no sense. This is a huge step forward for the Mustang, it's incredibly impressive.

You complain on one hand about 'only' 600 horsepower then on the other say Ford is throwing in too much power and not addressing the chassis. Well, which one do you want or do you not even know what you want and are complaining to complain?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Ok, and? This car is lighter and has IRS so the '13 GT500 does not apply whatsoever.

You're not impressed based on the ZL1 running with a previous generation GT500 that does not apply to the new Mustang whatsoever, um, ok.

Yes I do not understand why you are not impressed or any of your points really as to me they make no sense. This is a huge step forward for the Mustang, it's incredibly impressive.

You complain on one hand about 'only' 600 horsepower then on the other say Ford is throwing in too much power and not addressing the chassis. Well, which one do you want or do you not even know what you want and are complaining to complain?
    I think what little information about the car that has been given should be a great step forward for the handling of the car, BUT the Mustang doesn't have a great history when it comes to track performance, and simply throwing in an IRS, which I agree should help, doesn't mean this car is going to revolutionize the mustang's track performance. Performance impresses me, not performance parts, I have my reasons to not be impressed yet, that's my opinion, how is that wrong? SHOULD the car be impressive, yes, it SHOULD BE, but is it? No, not yet, how can you possibly know? It's just speculation at this point, what happens if the car shows no improvement over the current GT500 on a road course? Will you still be impressed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

BUT the Mustang doesn't have a great history when it comes to track performance
    Actually, it does.

simply throwing in an IRS, which I agree should help, doesn't mean this car is going to revolutionize the mustang's track performance.
    It isn't going to hurt.

It's just speculation at this point, what happens if the car shows no improvement over the current GT500 on a road course? Will you still be impressed?
    It's not going to show improvement why?

Based on what is provided it's an impressive step forward. I don't know what to tell you as you don't seem to understand the difference or why the '13 GT500 really doesn't apply at all to a new platform with a different design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Actually, it does.

It isn't going to hurt.

It's not going to show improvement why?

Based on what is provided it's an impressive step forward. I don't know what to tell you as you don't seem to understand the difference or why the '13 GT500 really doesn't apply at all to a new platform with a different design.
    The mustang has a good road course history? That's news to me, show me anywhere when comparing stock to stock where the mustang is even near the top of the list? The GT500 is close on a couple courses by muscling it's way around to squeak by cares with 150-200 less hp, but that's about it from what I've seen.

I agree IRS isn't going to hurt, it will surely help it on the track, as will the weight reduction, all I'm saying is, you can't possibly know by how much, if we use the ring as an example, the GT500 ran a 7:39. Camaro Z28 ran 7:37 with considerably less power, but it's a track designed car. so with less weight, a little less power, plus IRS, where will the GT350 stack up? You can't possibly know, so that's why I'm saying I'm not impressed. I have no bias against Ford, and am truly excited to see what this car can do, but I'm not going to be impressed by a few teaser preliminary specs and no results...LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

The mustang has a good road course history? That's news to me, show me anywhere when comparing stock to stock where the mustang is even near the top of the list?
    I don't think you know much about the Mustang or its history. Plus, its been racing since the 60's:

"Everything we've done on this car is a notch or several notches above anything we've done before," Coletti insists. "This 2000 Cobra R pushes the performance envelope far beyond the capabilities of any previous Mustang." Over dinner, Coletti boldly suggested a Motor Trend showdown between his car and a C5 Corvette. Sounds like a fairer matchup is with a Viper GTS. This R-version of the venerable Cobra has a monster engine, hunkered-down suspension, sticky tires, bigger brakes and wheels, Recaro buckets, and exterior aero pieces to keep it from flying at its quoted 170-mph top speed.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2jDlSLCFR

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I don't think you know much about the Mustang or its history. Plus, its been racing since the 60's:
    I literally thought of that car right after I posted....lol touche that was a nice ride, but pretty limited too, so could argue it in no way represents the larger spectrum of mustangs...BUT they did build it so I'll give credit where credit is due.

Still doesn't change this GT350 though...if you just woulda said excited or potential...just not impressive!! LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

not impressed? the M5 S63TT is only 560 BHP and weighs 4300lbs. This thing is going to be a beast and is going to be one of the fastest things on the streets of the USA shortly after its arrival. It will not take the aftermarket long to start pushing the limits of the car. I've been holding out for a 2015 Mustang and I'm def glad I did. I will have one. I was going back and forth between another N54, a beetle R (I'm serious LOL) and a 2015 Mustang. I'm pretty sure it's settled.

Sorry, I guess I'm crazy for thinking 550-a maybe 600 BHP is NOT that impressive for a 5-5.5l V8 TT. That's a lot of motor moving a lot of air. Now if they tell me that's at 6 PSI and bring out some more specs I might be impressed, but as of right now...no I don't see what there is to be so impressed about. Dropped weight? Ok, cool, so they are doing what BMW did and getting rid of weight that was unnecessarily added in the past few years....3300lb? Last time I checked the current mustang cobra was around 3845 lbs curb weight so lets try 3625 lbs...that's still not light, improved, but not light. IRS? Ok, so finally after almost a decade without it... they put IRS on a car that is supposed to be designed for the track already? Sweet...I'm not saying it won't be a great performance car, but not enough information to be impressed about right now...especially without knowing the price tag since the mustang is really stretching "affordable performance" already
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

I literally thought of that car right after I posted....lol touche that was a nice ride, but pretty limited too, so could argue it in no way represents the larger spectrum of mustangs...BUT they did build it so I'll give credit where credit is due.

Still doesn't change this GT350 though...if you just woulda said excited or potential...just not impressive!! LOL
    I'm sorry based on the specs I have to go with impressive. You're entitled to your opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I'm sorry based on the specs I have to go with impressive. You're entitled to your opinion.
    Right back at ya buddy, I totally see where you're coming from, it just honestly takes a lot for me to be impressed with a car, competition is stiff, and I'm a results whore. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    not impressed? the M5 S63TT is only 560 BHP and weighs 4300lbs. This thing is going to be a beast and is going to be one of the fastest things on the streets of the USA shortly after its arrival. It will not take the aftermarket long to start pushing the limits of the car. I've been holding out for a 2015 Mustang and I'm def glad I did. I will have one. I was going back and forth between another N54, a beetle R (I'm serious LOL) and a 2015 Mustang. I'm pretty sure it's settled.
    A more fair comparison would be the M4, and it will be interesting to see how some of the new american "track" designed cars like this GT350 and Z28 compare to it on the track. Yeah, you were probably smart in waiting, but that's usually the case with most re-design years. This car will rape the N54 and make its $#@!, no doubt about that!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

the great part is going to be the cheap aftermarket and quick availability of the parts. unless i move to Europe next year. then i'd have to rethink for sure.

A more fair comparison would be the M4, and it will be interesting to see how some of the new american "track" designed cars like this GT350 and Z28 compare to it on the track. Yeah, you were probably smart in waiting, but that's usually the case with most re-design years. This car will rape the N54 and make its $#@!, no doubt about that!
    Last edited by bigdnno98; 10-30-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    the great part is going to be the cheap aftermarket and quick availability of the parts. unless i move to Europe next year. then i'd have to rethink for sure.
    aftermarket is something that's really got me thinking about getting into a new stingray...but I think I'll hold on and have some fun with the Stage 2's first for at least 6 months.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12