Close

    • Rumor: Front engine and mid-engine Corvettes to be produced simultaneously, new twin turbo 4.2 and 5.5 liter DOHC motors

      This is a rumor originating from Corvette forums but basically where we all thought things are heading. Remember last year when internal documents leaked stating there would be a new GM DOHC LT5 V8 motor with 6.2 liters of displacement?


      Well, something got mixed up as while there is a new LT5 under the hood of the C7 ZR1 Corvette this is not a new DOHC engine design.

      A new DOHC engine family likely will come with the mid-engine C8 Corvette. It is expected that this Corvette will get a dual clutch transmission and twin turbo V8. An American McLaren?

      The C7 will soldier on or be revamped. Apparently the front-engine Corvette will continue until 2021 with the mid-engine Corvette going until 2024.

      Will GM really call both a Corvette? It seems odd.

      Take all of this as rumor extrapolated from IHS Markit analyst reports. BoostAddict does not see anything concrete supporting these rumors at this time but it all makes sense based on what has leaked and what we have read over the past year.

      An 850 horsepower 5.5 liter twin turbo mid-engine Corvette sounds fantastic. Let's just hope we aren't getting ahead of ourselves.


      This article was originally published in forum thread: Rumor: Front engine and mid-engine Corvettes to be produced simultaneously, new twin turbo 4.2 and 5.5 liter DOHC motors started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 12 Comments
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        720S killer!
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        It is going to be pretty interesting if the only competition for the 720S comes from Chevrolet and at a fraction of the price.

        It's hard not to root for the Americans.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        I think Ive been reading 'mid-engine Corvette confirmed!!!' headlines since 2004.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stevenh Click here to enlarge
        I think Ive been reading 'mid-engine Corvette confirmed!!!' headlines since 2004.
        More like since 1966 since the Ford GT40 came out. lol
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Im really excited about this car. Mid engine 5.5L DOHC Twin Turbo V8 with DCT would be so $#@!ing bad ass.
        The ZR1 pricing they just announced is honestly lower than I thought it would be. I figured they would try to push the ZR1 up higher to justify around $200k for this mid engined turbo model but it might be more like $150-160 which is a crazy bargain.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        If they can produce a mid-engine twin turbo Corvette for $150k... well. Let's see what happens Click here to enlarge
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        I would buy an used 560 instead if the mid-engine Cx ever comes to light at $150k. Even though it's slower but with some tuning, that's more than enough.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        I would buy an used 560 instead if the mid-engine Cx ever comes to light at $150k. Even though it's slower but with some tuning, that's more than enough.
        Wut? Do you mean a used 570S? So you are saying you would want a used unreliable British car that is slower vs a new car that should be competing with the likes of the 720S? lol

        My friend has a 570S and it has been in the shop a ton so far. It is a nice car but nightmare reliability if you are buying used I would be surprised if you could afford maintenance.
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        It's not always about speed you know....but haven't driven both so I can't say for sure. I'm in love with McLaren lately for some reason maybe because after watching the Youtube vid how their secret sauce in building fast car was accidently revealed...everyone should watch that vid IMHO.

        I guess the point is I can't see a 150k for a Corvette....but I could be wrong. Yeah, I meant 570s.
      1. subaru335i's Avatar
        subaru335i -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        It's not always about speed you know....but haven't driven both so I can't say for sure. I'm in love with McLaren lately for some reason maybe because after watching the Youtube vid how their secret sauce in building fast car was accidently revealed...everyone should watch that vid IMHO.

        I guess the point is I can't see a 150k for a Corvette....but I could be wrong. Yeah, I meant 570s.
        link to video?
      1. quattr0's Avatar
        quattr0 -
        It's long but worth to watch and understand why it's expensive to build lol

        You could skip to 30:00 if you want the secret was revealed.

      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
        It's long but worth to watch and understand why it's expensive to build lol

        You could skip to 30:00 if you want the secret was revealed.
        This is why they are the best. Back when Gordon Murray was with them (and he still had balls) they did all kinds of epic stuff.

        In Formula 1 once they used a huge cooling fan pointing down to generate downforce until it was banned.